Today, world’s 5% population is suffering from depression. In the next 20 years, the global medical expenses for chronic diseases would run into $47 trillion across the world. The planet earth will be housing a population of 800 million aging people vulnerable to diseases thanks to great breakthroughs in medical science.
With more complex and complicated lifestyle:
- a) We are trying to do way too much.
- b) We are trying to control more than we can manage.
- c) We have more baggage than we ever need.
- d) We are holding on to things without using them just to prove ours social status.
- e) We are facing a stiff competition not only in profession and education but in every simple aspect of life
- f) Tension and security concerns are growing across the borders touching the remote corners of the globe.
- g) Be it religion, country, company or personal brand, we try to pose ourselves superior than others, which is a major cause of disturbance.
Honestly speaking, we are growing exponentially on the outer side. Let me tell you a real life story of mine. When my elder son turned 8, I decided to gift him some plants, which he can nourish and watch them growing. In Mumbai, every inch counts. Hence, I asked the nursery rep to give me a plant with smaller pot which can grow tall.
My son said, “Dad, if you want the plant to grow big, you need to buy a bigger pot. I replied, “What’s the connection? I need the plant to grow taller”. He said, “If the roots of the plant can’t grow deep down, how can the plant grow up?” That was a life changing moment for me. I was speechless. I sat for a while and started thinking,“If we have to grow, first we have to grow inside then outside. How can growth support only outside?”
Now, if I recall our Rishi Muni’s source of “knowledge” and “growth”, it was always looking for deeper insight; first growing inward and then outward.
Today, I am going to talk about why “wellness” which I refer to status of “wellbeing” is more important than ever. Why its important for us look more inwards than only outwards.
At the backdrop of reawakening of wellness all over the world, we often miss out the bigger picture of this concept.Exploring the domain of wellness is endless and cannot be confined within a few selected parameters. It is a vast term carrying a profound connotation of following a healthy philosophy of life taking into consideration various dimensions associated. We often apply the term wellness loosely without giving importance to other factors that remain unnoticed in the pursuit of few tangible gains.
Wellness is an integrated method of functioning to the maximum potential maintaining a continuous balance with the environment directed towards a purpose.
The need for high level wellness:
A high level of wellness awareness is required that would help us view life in a different perspective instead of getting trapped in the race for excellence and supremacy.
Ancient people were peace-loving and lived harmoniously with their surrounding animate and inanimate creatures without disrupting anybody’s existence. With the aging of civilization, man started manipulating nature and surroundings for his own benefits, which has been gloriously termed as ‘Struggle for existence’. In this battle, the sense of wellness got lost.
The world is undergoing rapid demographic, social, cultural, economic and political changes, which are impacting heavily on the habit and practices of global population. We are experiencing:
- A shrinking and overcrowded world
- Aging human civilization with fast depletion of natural resources
- Mounting tensions in all aspects of life.
These have contributed to the widespread chronic illnesses affecting the productivity of a human being depriving him of wellness. In this situation, high level wellness awareness is imperative. This can be promoted through the following activities:
- Willingness to face inconsistencies in our thinking.
- Willingness to hear and examine the other fellow’s viewpoints with an open mind.
- Willingness to encourage freedom of expression of those around us.
- Willingness to adjust our own views.
- Willingness to make time for unhurried contacts with others when such relationships are essential.
- Willingness and determination to give credit and recognition to others when it is due them.
- Eagerness and determination to serve others as opportunities arise.
- Willingness to give freedom to those we love. [http://www.wwu.edu]
I summarize that we can deal with major problem of world through three simple Harmonious wellness thoughts.
Knowing yourself – The first step towards wellness:
How well do you know yourself? Just as charity begins at home, the perception of wellness initiates from one’s own self. It is therefore, important to know yourself first to realize the domain of wellness.
Harmonious co-existence – The ultimate goal of overall wellness
‘Work toward unity, and live in harmony with one another. Avoid thinking you are better than others or wiser than the rest; instead, embrace common people and ordinary tasks.’
Romans 12:16 The Voice
Wellness needs to be comprehensively spread not restricted to a selected group or class. To realize this, we need to learn to live in harmony. It implies maintaining a harmonious relation with our planet, surroundings, people, animals and plants and other inanimate beings without any animosity. It is fact that it is the human beings who have created more problems on this planet than any other species for their own comfort and quick benefits destroying the harmony, which is essential for everybody’s wellbeing.
- Maintaining harmonious Wellness with the universe (Planet/Environment)
- Harmonious with your “being”, not only physical being, but your emotional/spiritual being
- Being harmonious with every other element/species/things – Social, Cultural Wellness.
Our forefathers never visited any fitness center yet they radiated sound mental and physical health. Simple nature friendly activities and life guiding thoughts kept them healthy and content. They have perhaps set the best example of harmonious co-existence in its most primitive form which we need to evoke.
Animals lead their life in perfect harmony with their surroundings. It is we, the human beings who are bent on modifications of thesurroundings through incredible breakthroughs creating inhabitable conditions threatening our existence on this planet.
In pursuit of materialistic achievements, we fail to maintain harmony with our body, mind and spirit by not paying attention to their signals. As a result, we become prey to stress, tension and chronic ailments.
Fighting for supremacy existed since ages but not at this colossal level that is threatening our existence. Therefore, maintaining a social and cultural harmony has become so important for our stable existence.
Comprehensive wellness could be the only solution which should be based on better interactions with the environment, surroundings and other human beings and creatures without any ethnic or religious demarcation. It is the time we undertake more responsibilities in our activities and practices that would culminate into a widespread wellness.