Fibromyalgia is comprised of two words, algia (pain) and fibro (fibrous tissues). It causes tenderness and pain in several parts of the body. The common symptoms associated with this chronic condition includes problems with sleep, memory and concentration, extreme fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, heat and smell and increased sensitivity to pain. Although there are ample medicines available in the market to cure fibromyalgia pain, but more and more people are opting for alternative therapies, owing to their health benefits and affordable costs.
The rise in demand for alternative treatment
The alternative treatment modalities that are consistently used with patients suffering from fibromyalgia include soft tissue therapy, acupuncture, mind-body therapy, sleep hygiene and nutritional counselling. These therapies resonate with patients and thereby supplements that set foundational deficiency discovered in a patient during lab testing as well as based on the clinical history. Such alternative treatments target a person’s physiology that helps to achieve the best therapeutic results. This condition is commonly found in women compared to men. Generally, it develops amid the age of 25-55 and is less common among younger adults and almost uncommon in children.
Benefits of using an alternative treatment for fibromyalgia
- Alternative medicines and therapies are safe and comprise of natural substances. The key benefit of taking alternative medicines is for relieving people who largely depend on drug usage, thereby helping them in managing their lives naturally.
- These medicines augment overall bodily functions as these offer mental, spiritual, emotional and physical benefits.
- Alternative medicines heal a patient on higher levels compared to conventional medicine. It works on the cause as well as the effect. Such therapies make use of hands on technique, herbs from nature and mental techniques such as medication.
Other safe treatments to control fibromyalgia pain
- Exercising, sitting or swimming in warm water or a heated pool
- CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy) – This therapy helps to change the way one thinks about things thereby helping them in dealing with problems positively
- Physiotherapy – Methods such as massage is utilized for improving physical problems particularly weakness or muscle stiffness.
- Psychotherapy – This talking therapy helps one in understanding and dealing with their thoughts and feelings
- Psychological support – A form of support group or counselling works wonders in helping one cope with the problems caused due to fibromyalgia.
There are several natural ways to keep fibromyalgia pain at bay. Although its symptoms vary from person to person, but natural therapies can greatly help in relieving fibromyalgia pain.