You might have seen yogis on posters, magazines or book covers sitting in Lotus Pose. Also known as Padmasana, the exemplary yoga posture symbolizes purity of consciousness and transformation from ignorance to awakening. Those suffering with back pain or sciatica should practice this yoga pose. Mostly used for meditation, it’s an advanced pose and requires extreme precision with regards to the position of spine and your legs. Beginners should try to master the half-lotus, hero pose or easy pose before finally attempting this yoga classic.
In this article, we’ve included various steps of Padmasana or the Lotus Pose. Moreover, you may have greater insight into the benefits associated with this yoga pose.
1. Keep your legs fully stretched out and your palms facing downward, as you sit on the floor or yoga mat.
2. Hold your right foot and place it over the left thigh while bending your knees. Now try to bring your foot closer to your groin and make sure that your foot’s outer edges touch your hip’s crease.
3. Now bend your left knee, hold your left foot and put it on top of the right thigh. Again, bring your left foot closer to your navel.
4. Make sure that both knees are touching the ground and the soles of your feet are pointing upward.
5. Finally, you need to be sure about your spine’s position. It should be held straight; however, you don’t need to make it rigid.
While you can start practicing it for one minute initially, you should increase it to thirty minutes eventually. Make sure to add three minutes each week.
1. It helps you strengthen the nerves and muscles of your legs and thighs.
2. Since spinal erectness causes the vital energy to flow upwards, this asana helps you increase concentration, maintain moral chastity and activate knowledge nerves.
3. Especially beneficial in rheumatism, this asana loosens the joints in the lower parts of the body and increases flexibility as well.
4. Finally, it helps in harmonizing the functions of three humors (air, mucus and bile) in the system. Avid Padmasana practitioners may alleviate their emotional stress and tension as well.