Menopause can be a tough period in a women’s life and there are various symptoms plus discomforts, which create problem like headaches and hot flushes during this time. Many women do not require any treatment or do not feel the symptoms to be uncomfortable and they just pass away naturally. However, if you are facing problems with menopause then there are different ways to tackle the problem ranging from lifestyle changes to medication.
Common symptoms during menopause
- Hot Flushes: During hot flushes body, temperature increases and you will start to sweat. Check the reasons for hot flushes like spicy food or caffeine. Wear light dress in layers and take deep breaths when it starts.
- Vaginal Dryness: Due to less estrogen, vagina may become dry. There are OTC vaginal lubricants available, which are water based and are quite helpful.
- Sleeping Problems: Menopause can also result in sleeping problems and best way to solve it is to stay active during the day and avoid naps in afternoon. Before sleep drink something warm and do not take heavy dinner.
- Mood Swings: Mood swings could be due to depression or hot flushes. Doctor can advice proper medication as well a fitness program which will keep you in good health.
Pre Treatment Consultation
Before you look into treatment options, the first thing to do will be to talk with your doctor about the situation such as:
- What are your symptoms and the kind of trouble you are facing
- Risks you face depending on age, your health condition and chances of having problems like heart disease
- If you have already used treatments like MHT (menopausal hormone therapy)
Let us now look at various treatment options available:
- Oral Contraceptives: These pills are if you are going through the perimenopause stage. Low dosage of these pills can help in unpredictable periods and hot flushes.
- HRT: Hormone replacement therapy successfully treats many of the symptoms of menopause and over a period can help lower osteoporosis risk as well.
- Anti Depressants: These are not meant to treat hot flushes but do provide a lot of relief. Some common anti-depressants that are used include venlafaxine and paroxetine.
Menopause is a difficult stage in every woman’s life but with the help of medication as well as healthy lifestyle, the problems can be mitigated. Important thing is to consult your doctor and follow the advice given by doctor after analysis of your particular condition.