GERG (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) is cause by imbalanced PH as a result from eating a lot of acidic food. Acidic food can’t be properly digested and it turns into acid waste that can cause stomach spasms and increase stomach gas.
The human body is alkaline and abusing acidic foods can only imbalance your system leading to fatigue poor concentration, weight gain and other immunity problems.
The acid reflux, also known as heartburn, is nothing more that stomach gas. When the stomach acid rises the valve between the esophagus and the stomach is opened and the acid is stored in the esophagus causing discomfort. Only with a special acid reflux diet the heart burns can be controlled and even limited.
What to eat on the acid reflux diet ?
We all have cravings even if we feel guilty or sick after eating
certain food. In the case of those suffering from acid reflux some foods
can aggravate heartburn symptoms while others have low or no potential
Safe foods with little heartburn potential
It’s hard for someone who is suffering from acid reflux syndrome to enjoy a proper meal. Choose from the list bellow some ingredients that you can eat with low or no heartburn potential and start cooking.
- Vegetables: potato (baked), broccoli, cabbage, green beans, peas
- Fruit: apples, bananas
- Meat: chicken breast (skinless), egg whites, fish
- Diary: cheese (feta or goat), cream cheese, soy cheese
- Grains: bread (graham or white), oatmeal, graham crackers, rice (brown or white)
- Beverages: mineral water, green tea
- Sweets: jelly, fat-free cookies
Consume with discretion
Here is a list of foods that you can eat from time to time. The careful consumption of these ingredients will limit the potential of acid reflux.
- Vegetables: garlic, onion (cooked)
- Fruit: peach, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries
- Meat: chicken, beef, fish, ham, hot dogs (pork or beef)
- Diary: yogurt, (milk skimmed or 2%), cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese
- Grains: granola cereals
- Beverages: orange juice, apple cider, beer, non-alcoholic beer, non-alcoholic wine, cola, root beer
- Sweets: cookies
Foods to avoid
The following ingredients are considered to be highly acid, therefore the risk of having a heartburn is significantly increased when consuming:
- Vegetables: raw onion, potato (fried)
- Fruit: lemon, grapefruit, tomato
- Meat: Anything fried is not allowed.
- Diary: ice cream, sour cream
- Grains: pasta (macaroni, spaghetti)
- Beverages: grapefruit juice, liquor, wine, coffee, tea
- Sweets: chocolate, doughnuts, brownies
Unfortunately acid reflux cannot be cured, but the acid suppressants and a new eating plan can limit the acid reflux symptoms. Obesity, tight clothes and overeating are also risk factors. In order to suppress the heartburn sensation we recommend that you have a balanced life.