There is a heightened attention that is paid nowadays to the health and physique and rightly so in the wake of so many lifestyle diseases. Diet is a very important part of your plans of staying healthy.
What is exactly the essential fatty acid?
These are very essential nutrients which are a must for our body. They are known as good fats or simply as Vitamin F. Since the body cannot produce this, the only option you are left with is to consume them separately as a part of your diet. They can be classified into two groups namely the saturated and the unsaturated. Omega-3 is an unsaturated fatty acid.
Some important functions of essential fatty acids in diet:
- For the proper functioning and structure formation of various cells in the body essential fatty acids are extremely important.
- They help the body in absorbing minerals and vitamins
- They provide nourishment for the hair, nails and skin.
- They help the nerves to function properly and also help in the secretion of hormones.
- They are important for a normal development and growth of the human body.
- They help in staying safe from several diseases.
Diseases that can be prevented by essential fatty acids in diet
- Heart diseases: High blood pressure can be controlled and high blood lipids can be brought down by the consumption of food rich in omega-3. It also helps to decrease the clotting of blood and thus altogether is a complete protection from heart diseases. Grab the best food choice for a healthy heart. There have been guidelines issued by many countries which suggest you to include some fatty acids in your diet. It is proven that coronary heart diseases can be controlled by these essential fatty acids.
- Joint conditions including arthritis: When converted to eicosanoids, the essential fatty acids act with anti-inflammatory qualities. Apart from boosting the immunity response in general, it decreases inflamed joints. It has been noted that those who suffer from arthritis are often deficient in these essential fatty acids. But even those who have it can be somewhat benefitted from including these in their diets because it reduces pain and inflammation in the arthritis patients.
- Skin problems: if you are troubled by inflamed, dry or itchy skin then be sure to include essential fatty acids in diet. A large number of experiments show that a healthy intake of fatty acids provide immense relief for a lot of patients suffering from eczema. Some even were able to substantially reduce their drug intake for these diseases.
- Mental disorders: The deficiency of essential fatty acids are traced to several mental disorders like Alzheimer’s, depression, dementia, bipolar disorder and even learning disorders like dyslexia. A diet rich in essential fatty acids are known to work wonders in the treatment of depression.
- Others: It has also been successful in preventing and treating many other diseases like asthma, hypertension, mastalgia and even cancer. Individually and also in combination with others, essential fatty acids are seen to have a decent anti-cancer effect.
Quantity of essential fatty acids for healthy intake
There is very little information available as to how much food rich in omega-3 should be consumed. But some reliable studies say that it should be 4.44grams LA, 2.22 grams of ALA and 0.65 grams of EPA/DHA combined. There is even an upper limit to this as there is a presence of a significance amount of trans fat. The maximum that must be consumed is about 2grams a day.
Some foods rich in essential fatty acids
- Salmon: This delicious and fleshy fish is not only a protein rich food option but also rich in a large variety of nutrients including essential fatty acids. Easting salmon reduces your risks of heart diseases or depression and even dementia.
- Cod liver oil: This is the extracted oil from the liver of the cod fish and acts as a great healthy supplement to your diet. Apart from being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, it contains a decent serving of vitamins A and D. Be care you do not have too much of this though.
- Oysters: Apart from omega-3 fatty acids, this is also rich in zinc and a very healthy addition to your diet.
- Sardines: This is a very nutritious fish with almost all the essential nutrients needed by your body. It is also high in omega-3 fatty acids and is among the best of food rich in omega-3.
- Soyabean: While speaking of essential fatty acids in diet, we can by no means skip this nice vegetarian option to include fatty acids in the diet.
- Caviar: Although an exotic and expensive food, it is extremely rich in the essential fatty acids and can form a very healthy intake.
- Flaxseeds: this is another healthy vegetarian option to include essential fatty acids in diet. They are among the best whole food source with omega-3 presence.
- Walnuts: Alongside decent amounts of manganese, copper, vitamin E and fiber, these are loaded with a good amount of omega-3 content. While consuming do not remove the skin as it makes your nuts even more nutritious.
- Chia seeds: Another very healthy whole-food option. It contains calcium, manganese and several other nutrients alongside a good dosage of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Mackerel: This is another tasty yet nutritious fatty fish that allows you to have essential fatty acids in diet. Rich in omega-3 it would provide you with an overall healthy body with all benefits of omega-3.
We hope we have said enough on how to boost your healthy intake by adding essential fatty acids in diet. Go ahead and implement all that you have learnt thus far and appreciate the positive changes in your health. Always appreciate the value of the idea that health is wealth and be amazed by the results.