Essential oils extracted from plants have long been in use because of their fragrance and therapeutic properties. From funeral rites to making perfume, essential oils have always played a vital role in both, medicine and religion. Scientists are now trying to apply the properties of these essential oils to heal our body naturally and holistically.
A large number of essential oils, such as lavender, lemon, frankincense, thyme and many more, have an array of benefits such as fighting the feeling of sadness, to cure asthma and allergies. This article focuses mainly on the use of thyme essential oil to boost mind, body and spirit.
Thyme essential oil is obtained from thyme herb that has a typical strong and pervasive odor and is used to heal body disorders. Thyme is also regarded as the potent love herb as it is related with the planets Mercury and Venus. The benefits of using thyme essential oil are as listed below-
• It has antiseptic and therapeutic properties. According to the report of a journal, thyme essential oil can fight back 92 percent of gram negative and positive bacterial strains.
• Because of its alluring aroma and cleansing and purifying properties, it is used in the making of mouth rinses, food seasonings, antimicrobial mouthwash like Listerine, incense sticks, candles and perfumes.
• It is effective in providing quick relief from problems such as sore muscles, sore throat, swollen tonsils and voice related problems if applied directly onto the skin.
• Thyme essential oil can be taken orally to treat respiratory and digestive problems such as bronchitis, whooping cough, colic, arthritis, stomach disorder, bedwetting, parasitic worm infection etc.
• Thyme oil is found to be effective in treating scalp related problems, which include low hair growth and male and female pattern baldness that is a very common problem nowadays.
• Thyme essential oil is used for flavoring the food and increases its taste. Summary: One should be careful while selecting a thyme essential oil, as there are plenty of types available in the market that have different chemical constituents depending on the area where the herb is grown and all have their own therapeutic benefit. The mildest thyme oil known as Thymus Vulgaris CT linalool from the brand doTerra essential oils is highly recommended as it has no side effects and can be easily used in food, bath, mouth rinse as a flavoring, antiseptic, and antimicrobial agent for seasoning, healing and cleansing. You should avoid using the oil during pregnancy, high blood pressure, nursing and allergies.