Hormones or hormonal imbalance is usually related to women which is incorrect. Hormonal changes and imbalance effects men and women of all age groupsalixke and could have devastating effects on a person’s health. There are a number of symptoms of hormonal imbalance which could initially be blamed on other factors.
Most of these symptoms come on gradually and it gets difficult to figure out initially until the problem gets serve and the hormones becomes more imbalanced. With age and severity of the imbalance, it gets harder to treat its effects and proper recovery becomes very difficult to achieve. Let us talk a little more about the symptoms, cause and treatment of hormonal imbalance.
Symptoms of hormonal imbalance
Some of the most common symptoms of hormonal imbalance are
- Persistent weight gain with belly fat and loss of muscle mass.
- Anxiety, depression, fatigue and irritability
- Insomnia and poor sleep patterns
- Craving for food, excessive hunger or no hunger and digestive disorders
- Infections, immune deficiencies and slow metabolism
- Blood pressure problems, hot flashes and night sweats
- Light headedness when standing up quickly, dizzy and nausea after period of not eating
These are some of the most common symptoms of hormonal problems. Anyone experiencing any of these symptoms should consult the doctor right away.
Keeping tabs on stress
Stress is something which we have unfortunately come to accept as a part of our life. But when stress goes unmanaged, it can drastically affect your quality of life and your health. When stress is not managed properly it affects a variety of body functions and one such system is the endocrine or the hormonal system.
Hormonal imbalance begins with the adrenal glands. These glands are located at the top of your kidney and they release a very important hormone that is needed by the body during the times of stress. When these adrenal glands are overworked due to immense stress on the body over a period of time, there is adrenal fatigue and the hormonal imbalance that it causes can cause the other body systems to suffer.
The most common source of stress and adrenal fatigue are chronic pain that arises from a number health issues, emotional stress and poor lifestyle habits like skipping your meal, excessive smoking and drinking, poor sleep and lack of exercise and physical activity.
Natural ways of keeping hormonal imbalance in check
It is important to consult your doctor and take appropriate medication if you are suffering from hormonal imbalance. But there are also some proven natural ways of that could help you keep your hormonal imbalance in check. Some of the simple and efficient changes that you should make in your lifestyle to control the hormonal imbalances are:
- Exercise and maintain a healthy weight. Avoid extended running and cardio and focus on relaxing exercises like walking and swimming. Short bursts of heavy lifting can also be beneficial.
- Limit the intake of caffeine and replace it with herbal teas
- Choose coconut oil and olive oil over vegetable oil, peanut oil, soybean oil and margarine.
- Get sufficient sleep and rest. If you are not getting enough sleep, your hormones will not be balanced.
- Avoid white foods such as sugar, white rice, bread and foods made of white flour
Hormones are very potent; the slightest of change in the production of the hormones can have profound effects on the body. If you are an otherwise a healthy person but find yourself having any of the above symptoms, there could be hormonal changes happening in your body. But the good news is that it is never too late work on these issues and keep your hormones in check.