Monsoon brings relief after the scorching heat and people seem to be overwhelmed to welcome the onset of monsoon. However, there are many health concerns that may be associated with the arrival of monsoon and you might want to protect yourself and your family from the adverse effects of the same.
Monsoon brings in floods and contamination of water and there are many health conditions linked to its exposure. Consumption of contaminated water can spread water borne diseases that cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Cold air and getting wet in rains can cause infections presenting with cold, cough and fever. When your skin gets exposed to the dirty waters, it also suffers and may get subjected to various skin diseases and fungal infections.
Here are some of the tips that can help you to protect your health during monsoon:
- In order to prevent water borne infections from contaminated water, it is advisable to use boiled water. Special care should be taken while consuming food and water and make sure you prefer beverages prepared in boiled water. Also make sure to choose a hygienic place and avoid preparations that use direct use of water on food stalls.
- Special hygienic conditions should be maintained at home and when outside. These include having a bath after coming home, changing clothes, washing and cleaning hand using sanitizers before handing food.
- Utensils and other food containers should also be cleaned well and sterilized if required. Special care must be taken in case of milk bottles and other utensils used for infants and young children.
- Cold and fever can affect as viral infection too set during this period. The symptoms include headache, cold, fever, malaise, stomachache, body ache and these should be attended at once. Special care should be taken to protect skin and hair during monsoon.
- People suffering from asthma or other respiratory illnesses should be extra cautious as the air is cool and then can easily catch cold. It is essential to avoid exposure to cold air and cold drinks or food. Taking regular medications, steam inhalation and warm drinks can be helpful.
- The surroundings should also be kept clean to avoid breeding of mosquitoes and other insects. Mosquito repellents should be used and care should be avoid stagnation of water in your surroundings.