Two men have suffered terrifying visual and auditory hallucinations after eating poisonous fish in Mediterranean restaurants. They started seeing and hearing terrifying things after contracting a rare form of hallucinogenic poisoning fish.
Hallucinogenic fish poisoning, which is often called Ichthyoallyeinotoxism, is caused by eating the heads or body parts of certain species of reef fish. These are such as certain mullet, goatfish, tangs, damsels and rabbitfish.
The effects of eating are believed to be similar to LSD and may include vivid and terrifying auditory and visual hallucinations. The fish reaches a size of around 50cm/20″ and occurs through much of the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean.