Hangover is the result of consumption of too much alcohol. It leaves bad physiological effects on your body. The symptoms of a hangover include headache, nausea, dry mouth, thirst and sleepiness. Generally, hangovers are felt in the morning after the whole night’s drinking. Since, alcohol consumption has become an inevitable part of celebration, people often end up drinking too much. So, it’s important to know how you can cure a hangover. Here’s the guide on how you can get rid of it.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 35- 60 minutes
2. Glucose drinks
6. Non-acetaminophen OTC painkiller
1. Things to be done before you start to drink
- Make sure you have had a little food before you drink as having direct drinks can often intoxicate you too soon. Also, having lots of water and keeping yourself hydrated is a very good thing to do. Thus, a little food and water can dilute the effects of alcohol.
- Having some fluid in any form, juice or water etc can help you dilute alcohol and its effects. In fact, having higher water content in your body helps drink more but slowly.
- Choosing a light liquor is essential, for example you can go for beer or vodka or gin. Whiskey and rum are considered very heavy drinks.
2. How to handle yourself in the morning after drinking night
1. Ensuring enough sleep
The first thing you must ensure is that you have had enough sleep or you may suffer from body ache in the morning.
2. Drink lots of water
To avoid dehydration, you should drink ample water after having a sleep of 7-8 hours.
3. Include Vitamin C in your drink
You should take lime water in your drink as vitamin C is a very nourishing vitamin. It rejuvenates your body system and helps restore the essential vitamins.
4. Eat , if you had not eaten the previous night
If you had not eaten much the night before, try eating something like a bread toast or sweet curd or a banana.
5. Take a medicine
You can take aspirin or ibuprofen in case you are having severe headache.
6. In case of nausea, do not stop yourself
When you are feeling uneasy in the stomach, try not to stop yourself from vomiting. It is one of the best ways to clear the upset stomach. And, you will feel much better once you have vomited.
7. Take a shower
To get relaxation, take a bath shifting between the hot and cold shower alternatively. It really wakes you up and at the same time relaxes your weary body.
8. Take up a physical activity
Doing any sort of physical activity can also cure a hangover. Activities may include cycling or swimming.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What to eat or drink in case of an hangover?
You can eat breads, fruits or curd in any form. And the best drink to cure a hangover is lime water as vitamin C really helps boost the metabolism in the body.
1. Drink lemonade in case of a hangover as it instantly soothes the stomach.
2. Avoid consumption of too much liquor when you have not had enough water or food along with it.
3. Always complete your sleep else the moment you wake up next morning, you would feel nauseated.
4. Avoid drinking again the next morning as it will prolong the hangover.
5. Hangover pills don’t help much in curing hangovers, so you can avoid them.
Things To Watch Out For:
1. Do not immediately take up any medicines after you have had enough drinks as it can lead to fatal effects. Even if you have to take any medicine, take it in the morning not immediately after drinking.
2. Avoid having more of caffeinated drinks as they make you urinate often which again causes dehydration.