Let the cakes, cookies and candies take a break. Every year, it’s the same treat for you and your family, so time for a change. A Halloween is perfect when you indeed have great food to complement the spooky atmosphere. Surprise your guests with this year’s Halloween menu and let the praises roll in for you. A healthy menu along with recipes have been suggested for you. Take a look and then no points for guessing what your answer will be to trick or treat this Halloween.
A. Pineapple Pumpkin Drink
- 1 cup fresh pineapple juice. Use canned pineapple juice if fresh isn’t available.
- 1 1/2 cup fresh apple juice. Use canned apple juice if fresh isn’t available.
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons honey or according to the sweetness of juices
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1. Pour the apple juice and pineapple juice into the blender. Blend to form a smooth mixture.
2. Add the peeled pumpkin chunks to the juice. Blend again till the pumpkin chunks blend in well with the juices.
3. Taste the blended mixture and check its sweetness quotient.
4. Then add honey accordingly into the blended mixture.
5. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder on top.
6. Blend again till all the ingredients are perfectly blended together.
7. Drain into a container with the help of a sieve and you can store the juice for future use.
8. Refrigerate the juice for a few hours before serving.
9. Serve chilled.
B. Halloween Ham Slices
- 3 ham steaks
- 6 baby carrots
- 2 jalapenos or pickled peppers, sliced into long strips
- 5 black olives, chopped finely into 3 slices
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil. You can also use olive oil, in case canola oil isn’t available.
- 4 hard boiled eggs, shallow fried and halved
- a bit of red pimento
- 3 slices of string cheese
1. Place the canola oil or olive oil in a medium sized fry pan on medium heat or till bubbles appear.
2. After the oil is heated, arrange the ham steaks in the fry pan. Fry the steaks for about 4 minutes. Cook till the steaks change color and turn light brown. Turn the side and continue frying till the side changes color and turns light brown, unlike the other side. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Remove the ham steaks from the fry pan, when cooked fully. Drain the steaks on a piece of paper towel to soak the excess oil.
4. Now arrange the ham steaks on separate plates one by one. Arrange the steak at the bottom of the plate such that they form a mouth.
5. Place the chopped olive slices on the jalapeno peppers for teeth
6. Cut the rounded portion of each fried egg half. Place the halved eggs on the top of the plate so as to make them look like eyes.
7. Put a piece of pimento on each egg white to make them look blood filled eyes
8. Place a baby carrot on each side of the ham steak for ears
9. Place the string cheese slice on the top of the ham steak to assemble hair
10. Serve this colorful healthy treat to your children on Halloween.
C. Cinnamon Pumpkin Waffles
- 1 can fresh pumpkin, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- a pinch of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour or all purpose flour
- 1 cup cream milk
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 4 medium sized eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- a pinch of salt
1. Melt butter in a double boiler
2. Whisk eggs in a beater on high speed or you can also whisk with the help of hand egg beater
3. Sift together the self-raising flour or all-purpose flour and brown sugar in a large bowl
4. Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to the sifted flour mixture, and stir constantly to let all the ingredients mix with each other.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, add the cream milk to the whisked eggs and mix with a light hand.
6. Add the buttermilk and the melted butter to the milk and egg mixture and mix well. Fold in the pumpkin chunks and mix till all the ingredients mix well and the mixture so formed is smooth.
7. Add the sifted flour mixture to the smooth milk-egg mixture. Blend together again to make sure all the ingredients mix well.
8. Heat the waffle iron. Now pour a small amount of the prepared batter on the waffle iron and cook according to the inscribed waffle iron directions.
9. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
10. When the waffle is baked, place it on the preheated oven rack.
11. Bake the waffles in the waffle iron till all the batter finishes
12. Serve with chocolate syrup or warm apple-cinnamon syrup.