The fourth Thursday of November in US is celebrated as Thanksgiving Day. The day invariably boils down to the grand banquet at night. Here we present three interesting recipes for Thanksgiving Day. They are easy to make and the best part is that you can involve and engage your kids too as you make them. So, go ahead and have fun as you whip up some wonderful and sweet Thanksgiving delicacies.
1. Thanksgiving marshmallow pilgrim hats
1. 12 marshmallows
2. Chocolate chips (6 ounce package)
3. Chocolate-striped, shortbread cookies (12 nos.)
4. Yellow decorators frosting (1 tube)
1. Take a large tray and cover it completely with wax paper. The tray should be able to fit into the microwave oven.
2. Neatly place the shortbread cookies on the tray. Place them with the chocolate stripes coming as the base on the wax paper.
3. Leave sufficient space between each of the shortbread cookies.
4. Place this whole tray in the microwave oven. Switch on the oven and keep it for about 30 seconds to a minute so that the chocolate melts. Keep an eye on the microwave to ensure that the chocolate does not melt and begin to flow!
5. Pick a marshmallow using a wooden toothpick. Plant this on to the melted chocolate. Make sure that you center it on top of the chocolate.
6. Take a second wooden toothpick. Use it to hold down the marshmallow in place and gently pull out the first toothpick. Ensure that the centering has not got disturbed. Make any fine adjustments necessary with the toothpick.
7. Place the tray in the deep freeze of the refrigerator now.
8. After the chocolate has chilled and set, take the tray out of the deep freezer.
9. Make a frosting buckle for each of your ‘hats’ using the tube of yellow decorators frosting. You can use different colors as per your likes.
10. You can also add a single small piece of synthetic cherry on the yellow decorator frosting strip of each cookie.
11. Your marshmallow pilgrim hats recipe is now ready to eat. Place it back in the refrigerator and serve it cold as dessert during the Thanksgiving dinner.
2. Thanksgiving turkey cookies
1. Chocolate creamy frosting (16 oz.)
2. Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies (16.5 oz.)
3. Orange decorating icing
4. Candy-coated chocolate baking bits (miniature size)
5. Black decorating gel
6. Candy corn
1. Switch on the oven and let it attain a temperature over 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bake the cookies following the instructions that have been given on the roll.
3. Once the cookies are baked and ready, take them out of the oven.
4. Allow the cookies to cool for about 20 minutes.
5. Take a resealable, plastic food bag and fill it with the chocolate creamy frosting.
6. Make one small hole at one corner of this plastic food bag.
7. Make a curving edge by piping this chocolate creamy frosting on to one end of the baked cookies, along its outer edge.
8. Arrange the candy corn on this frosting layer to form the feathers of the turkey. You can fit about 7-8 candy corn pieces per cookie.
9. Make the beak, legs and eyes of the turkey using the orange decorating icing. Pipe this icing in the same way you did the chocolate frosting. You can use any other color of your choice but the orange goes well with the overall color combination on the cookie.
10. Fix baking bits on the orange icing that has been made into the eyes.
11. Pipe a bit of the black decorating gel on to the center of the baking bit ‘eye’ to make the eyeball of the turkey.
12. The turkey cookies are ready to serve now. You could also refrigerate them for a while and serve them chilled.
3. Thanksgiving sweet potato pie
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
1. 4 tablespoons of melted butter
2. 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
3. 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
4. 2 peeled sweet potatoes which have been chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
5. 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
6. 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
7. 3 separated eggs
8. 1/2 cup of sugar
9. 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
10. 3/4 cup of buttermilk
11. 1 baked sweet piecrust shell
1. Preheat the oven to about 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Take a medium stockpot with a strainer and fill it half with water. Get it to boiling over a medium flame.
3. Add the peeled sweet potatoes and steam them after covering the pot for about 20 minutes.
4. Transfer the sweet potatoes into a large bowl after straining them. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
5. Use a potato masher and mash the sweet potatoes into a smooth puree.
6. Add the specified quantities of the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and lemon juice to the puree and mix it well.
7. Beat the egg yolks with a whisk in a small bowl for about 30 seconds. Add sugar to it and beat it well again.
8. Add this egg mixture that you have made to the sweet potato mixture. Stir it well for a few minutes. You will know that the mixture is correct when it becomes consistent.
9. To the bright orange mixture obtained above, add flour, a little at a time and add buttermilk and stir everything properly.
10. Whisk the egg whites in another bowl for about 1 1/2 minutes in another bowl.
11. Fold this whisked egg white into the previously made sweet potato mixture and mix well.
12. Pour this mixture into the prepared piecrust are bake it in the middle rack of the oven.
13. Bake for about 35-40 minutes till the center gets firm.
14. Remove the pie from the oven and keep it for cooling.
15. The sweet potato pie is ready for serving.