Behaviour modification in children is a wonderful way to address various behaviour problems. This is used often for shaping a child’s behaviour one move at a time. It is an effective method used for treating several disorders, namely attention deficit disorder, oppositional defiant disorder or autism. Besides, the fundamentals of children behaviour modification can be utilized for increasing desired behaviours irrespective of functional level.
Behaviour modification for children and its importance
This applies to parenting techniques, which attempt in moulding or shaping a child’s behaviour via reinforcement. Proponents claim that such modification techniques for children are likely to result in rapid behaviour change, better understanding amid children and parents and more appropriate behaviours.
Consistency is the key
Consistency is always the key to children behaviour modification. As such, many different kinds of programs are providing parents various strategies to accomplish the same goal. Upholding consistency over time is likely to be very difficult, owing to the fact that children always do not respond positively to changes instantly.
Different programs provide different ways of coping with difficulties to make positive changes. You must follow the timetable efficiently for enforcing the right behavioural patterns on your child. You must always remember that by setting a good example for your little one is as vital as teaching them in following the same.
Incredible Behaviour Modification Techniques for Children
Below are a few incredible behaviour modification techniques that parents should follow for sound growth and development of their child. These systematic techniques include:
- Primarily, make a plan and ensure to check twice each aspect to it. By doing so you can eliminate the possibility of you having in making changes every now and then and will positively pay off tremendously.
- Study the behaviour of your child and understand it carefully. Try to focus on their annoying habits and disinterests with the aim to change these at the earliest. Teach and enforce upon them to distinguish amid what is right as well as what is not.
- In instances when your child does something productive, which they do not perform usually, it is good to reward them. This reward can be monetary or you can take them for a surprise outing or allowing them to enjoy with friends an hour extra owing to their good behaviour.
- Similarly, when your little one fails to perform as per planned, you should pick a consequence. Try in making them understand that performing wrong will lead in bad consequences. Be smart to choose the consequence as small children must have little punishments like no television, no video games, early to bed among others.
- You can introduce improved and new rewards. Tempt your little one with more enticing and new rewards as this will serve as a driving force for them. Avoid being stingy when it comes to rewards and keep an eye on your child taking interest in all that you instruct them to do.
- Follow the technique with new additions. Whenever you notice that your little one has picked up good habits that you have been trying, slowly yet certainly introduce a couple of new ones followed by more motivating and tempting rewards.
There are countless variegated types of behaviour modification techniques for children. However, you must realize that learning to apply such behaviour modification approaches will be helpful provided you follow these within the restraints of their effectiveness along with combining the same with other techniques as part of an overall package of the positive parenting approaches.