The war against aging is a never ending one with literally hundreds of individuals fighting in it every day. Sadly, age seems to catch up with us no matter what we do. The only thing that we can do in the end is to curb the signs of aging so that they don’t show up all at once on your face and body.
While there are plenty of creams, lotions and even skin treatments that can do this, your best bet to staying young and away from the side effects of these methods is to opt for a more natural alternative like yoga. Don’t be surprised when we tell you that there are even certain yoga asanas that can help you stay healthy, fit and young for ages. Here are 5 such asanas you can practice on a daily basis to retain your health and youthfulness.
Our posture tends to weaken with time and age. The equal standing asana will help you retain your postural tendencies, thereby reducing the risks of injury and strain to the body as you age.
- Stand on the floor with your feet hip width apart and your arms by your sides.
- Focus on the weight of your body and its distribution on your feet. Without moving your feet, simply shift your body forward, backward and from side to side. Distribute your body weight evenly until you concentrate all of it on the center.
- Concentrate on your hips, ankles and shoulders. Tilt your chin upwards until your skull is balanced on your spine. Find an equilibrium that lets you use very little muscle strength while maintaining this pose. Try to stand up straighter if you slouch, but without placing strain on any of your muscles.
Forward Bend with Palm on Ground
This asana can warm up your body, tone your joints and hips, and increase blood circulation to your head, thus helping your skin rejuvenate and look fresher.
- As the asana’s name, bend forward and place your palms on the ground without bending your knees.
- Inhale slowly while raising your hands and exhale when bringing them back down again, making sure you touch the ground with your palms when coming down. Hold your breath for about 5 seconds.
- Repeat this process for at least 10 times for one set. Do 5 sets of this asana every day for best results.
This yoga asana will help improve your posture in addition to increasing upper body strength, strengthening your spine and improving flexibility.
- Start with your hands and knees, with the knees under the hips. Spread your fingers wide and keep your feet hip width apart.
- Rise up on your heels and bend your knees slightly as you curl under your toes and reach the tailbone, facing the ceiling as you do so.
- Come back to your original position and straighten the knees slowly until you feel a soft stretch on your back. Go slower if you feel a strain instead of a stretch.
- Balance the weight of your body between your hands and feet. Engage the core by bringing the belly button towards the spine while reaching out forward with your hands.
This is another asana which will help you improve your posture and retain it as you age.
- Stand straight on the floor with your arms by your sides.
- Concentrate on your toes and heels, feeling them press into the ground. Inhale and exhale slowly as you find your body’s equilibrium.
- Lift your chin up slowly until your jaw is stretched completely. Hold this position for about 10 seconds and then come back to your original position. Repeat this exercise 10 times every day.
This yoga asana will help improve your balance while increasing your core strength and strengthening your spine.
- Get down on your hands and knees.
- Balance your body weight on your toes as you lift your body. Keep in mind that your body should be in a straight line from head to feet. Place the palms firmly on the ground as your raise your body to this position.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and relax your body. Repeat 5-6 times every day for desirable results.
There are a number of yoga asanas that help you remain healthy, fit and young even after you age. These yoga asanas are easy to perform and will take only a few minutes of your time every day to fight off the signs of aging effectively.