Dr Prem Life Improving Logo-R

4 Tips for Eating Healthier

Tips for Eating Healthier

Living a healthy lifestyle comes with some preparation and a mindset shift. Grabbing a Lean Kitchen meal over a Big Mac at lunchtime is certainly the healthier choice, but there’s more that goes into eating healthier. The consistency of your food selections is what comes into play if you want to create a healthier relationship with food.

We’ve offered up 4 tips for eating healthier. There are plenty more out there, but this is a guide to get you started!

1.  Think Quality over Quantity

Recent studies have shown that food cravings don’t have to do with being at a caloric deficit or eliminating certain foods entirely, but instead they are a conditioned response to your previous relationship with food. What does this mean? It means that trying to go about dieting in terms of portion control will not work in the long term.

Instead, opt for foods that are less calorie dense. These foods include lean meats, vegetables, and fruit. Ensuring you select high quality, low calorie dense foods at mealtime, means that you can eat the same amount of food while consuming considerably less calories!

2.  Meal Prep

If you’re always on the go and don’t have time to prepare healthy meals, you should consider meal prepping. Deciding on a day of the week when you have time to get meals ready for the week ensures you won’t pick up Taco Bell or order pizza on your way home from work.

Meal prep doesn’t have to be complicated nor does it require more than an hour or two of your time on your day off. Go for meals that are easy to cook in bulk – like chicken and vegetables.

Versatile food groups make it easier to have a variety of meals throughout the week – chicken wraps, black bean soup, salads – the options are endless. Check websites like Pinterest for some meal prep inspiration!

3.  Consider the 80/20 Rule

Food is something that should be enjoyed, and this means you don’t have to constantly deprive yourself of foods that you love (even if they aren’t the healthiest choice). A good rule of thumb is to abide by the 80/20 rule when it comes to your relationship with food.

The 80/20 rule suggests that 80% of daily diet consists of healthy, nutritious foods – while the remaining 20% of your intake is reserved for snacks or treats. You don’t have to live a life without cookies if most of your food intake is healthier food choices. Go ahead and have that piece of cheesecake every once in a while!

4.  Get Creative in the Kitchen

Eating healthy doesn’t need to be boring or bland! If you’re always having chicken and broccoli, that will grow old quickly. You don’t want to revert to unhealthy eating habits. Making sure you have fun and tasty food varieties is key to making healthy eating a personal lifestyle.

If you love cheesy pizza with extra pepperonis, find a way to make a healthier alternative to your favorite dish. This could be swapping traditional crust with cauliflower crust, turkey pepperonis, and cutting back (just a little) on the cheese! Get creative when it comes to your healthy dishes.

Article Submitted By Community Writer

Recent Articles:

Scroll to Top