To have a healthy baby, it is important to take proper precautions during pregnancy. Pregnant women should be very careful about the type of diet she is intaking. Not only does it affect the post pregnancy weight gain but also the health of the baby. Alongwith it, you should also indulge in fitness regimen and yoga exercises. Mentioned below are some ways to have a fit pregnancy.
1. Start eating nutritious food. Eat green leafy vegetables, fruits, food with high protein content like chicken and fish, grains and milk products like plain milk, yogurt, and cheese. Avoid caffeine. It is mainly found in coffee, medicines, and soft drinks. Instead of these you can take juice, milk, or water. If you cannot avoid coffee or tea, try and take some with reduced caffeine content. Avoid store made salads, refrigerated or frozen food, raw sprouts of any kind.
2. Folic acid is very essential for the fetus and pregnant mother. Take multivitamins which contains 400 microgram of folic acid. Folic acid is needed for proper development of baby’s brain and spinal cord during pregnancy. Eat food items which contain folic acid like fortified breads and cereals, beans, leafy green vegetables, and orange juice.
3. Maintain your fitness regime. Exercise is very important to stay fit during pregnancy. Try to do some light exercises like walking, low-impact aerobics, stationery cycling, swimming, and yoga. Walk as often as you can. Ask your doctor before doing any exercise. Exercise during pregnancy maintains blood circulation and reduces labor pain. If you feel abdominal pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, blurry vision or contractions during exercise, then stop exercising.
4. Drinking alcohol and smoking during pregnancy may result in premature delivery. It will stop the proper development of baby. Try to avoid these as they can create lifetime problems like low birth weight or heart defects.
5. Generally it is said that pregnant woman should eat for two but it is not true. Doctors say that a pregnant woman should eat for herself and for her baby which is nearly 1/20th of her size. To have those extra calories, two slices of bread and a cup of milk in a day is enough. Instead of eating 3-4 times a day, eat at smaller intervals. Eat light at every interval. Between intervals take juice, salads, fruits, and nuts.
6. Drink 8-10 glasses of water in a day. This will remove toxins from body and keep you and your baby healthy and fit. If you are thirsty, take lemon water, fruits juice, and soup instead of soft drinks, soda etc.
7. Try to sleep for at least 7-8 hours at night. Take naps during the day if you are feeling stressed or exhausted.
8. Avoid infections as they may pass on to your baby and harm him. Always wash your hands with a good disinfectant soap and water before and after eating, using the bathroom, or in case of cold infections. Avoid eating raw meat, fish, or unpasteurized milk products. Keep away from furry pets. Wash vegetables, fruits, meat, or fish well with water before consuming. Use pasteurized milk products. Keep yourself away from strong smelling cleansers, paint, and chemicals.
9. Medical check-up is very important for you and your baby. Get it done regularly by a gynaecologist. It will help you prevent any risks during pregnancy. Through checkups you can keep your baby away from future diseases or pregnancy risks. It will help in proper development of the baby and will also keep you healthy and fit.
10. Take only prescribed medicines from your doctor. Do not take any medicines without prescription. Before using any new medicine consult your doctor. Non-prescribed medicines can lead to preterm labor or miscarriage. It may also lead to many pregnancy risks for the mother as well as for her baby.
11. If you are pregnant, it does not mean you should stop traveling. Avoid traveling until and unless it is very important. Use cars or trains to travel. Avoid buses as their jerks can be harmful for the baby.
12. Last but not the least effective tip to keep your baby healthy is to be free from stress. Think positive. Read books and magazines which talks about pregnancy. Shop for the baby. This will keep you energetic.