If you have never visited Costa Rica but are planning to visit sometime soon, this article is going to be of immense help for you. Here we have brought the top Costa Rican destinations and some interesting and unknown facts about this Central American country known for its beautiful natural landscape and bustling biodiversity for you.
Arenal Volcano National Park & La Fortuna
Arenal used to be the most active volcano in Costa Rica until 2010. Frequent but small explosions used to present incredible sights of lava trickling and shining at dark nights. Despite the absence of regular volcanic eruptions, Arenal Volcano continues to be an impressive landmark. You can visit its surrounding area, especially La Fortuna (a tiny town nestled at the base of the volcano) to witness outstanding sights and enjoy a number of activities.
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
Known for its extraordinary biodiversity, conservation initiatives and scientific researches, Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is the most well known cloud forest in the world. You can choose one or more tours (bird watching tour, natural history walk, night walk tour) that will help you gain a comprehensive insight into the cloud forest reserve. For a better experience, you can hire guides who have extensive knowledge about the Montverde’s nature and history.
Clean and appealing Costa Rican beaches await your arrival. Clear water, right temperature, gorgeous surroundings and more enable visitors to spend their time in a most enjoyable and a relaxing manner. You can spend your time while swimming, surfing, diving and fishing or simply taking sunbath at the beach.
Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica’s top surf and party destination sees influx of tourists every year. Having no dearth of bars, hotels and restaurants, it is indeed the most developed beaches on the peninsula. This destination has the potential to entertain people of all ages. Foodies will find some of the best restaurants here while families and students will be impressed by the reasonable lodging prices owing to the fierce competition that prevails.
Interesting facts about Costa Rica
- Costa Rica flaunts one of the most distinguished environmental destinations of the world. Approximately 25% of the country has protected forests, reserves, and over 100 protected areas.
- If you are an ice cream lover, Costa Rica offers some unusual flavors that you might like or find them to be weird. Unique ice cream flavors that you can taste while in Costa Rica include goat cheese, peanut, coconut, sour cream, wild blackberry, chocolate almond, chipotle blueberry and many more.
- Costa Rica houses 121 volcanic formations, out of which seven are the active formations. Arenal is one of the ten most active volcanoes across the globe and Poas Volcano has the second widest crater in the world.
- You will hear local people saying “Pura Vida” in Costa Rica. It is a national saying that translates into “pure life” and people use it as an expression for greeting, goodbye or for asking how you are doing.
- Weather in Costa Rica is quite uncertain, as it is surprising how it suddenly changes from a warm weather to a torrential rain condition.
- Costa Rica has four World Heritage Sites – La Amistad National Park, Area de Conservación Guanacaste, Cocos Island National Park and the Pre-Columbian Chiefdom Settlements with Stone Spheres of the Diquís.
- Following the principle of Pure Vida religiously, Costa Rica ranks number one on the Happy Planet Index. The index is based on three criteria including ecological footprint, life expectancy and wellbeing, which altogether determine the overall happiness level of 151 countries across the globe.
- Costa Rica has a 96% literacy rate. Special classes over a national radio station enable students in remote villages to educate themselves.