Before signing the agreement, you should follow certain steps to ensure the quality of service available, such as:
- Enquiring about the qualification of the doctor/ surgeon you are consulting and their experience
- Terms and conditions of the medical insurance and the limits to the policy
- What international standards does the medical facility meet
- Asking to review any available records or reports of pending lawsuits against the medical staff
- The liability that the medical staff will assume in case of malpractice or errors
- The average payout as a compensation in case of any error
It might be beneficial to search for a legal representative from the host country as the procedures may well be significantly different to what you are familiar with in your home country. Language barriers may also limit the communication. These factors can turn out to be a potential problem during any compensation procedure.
Websites such as IBMS (International Board of Medicine and Surgery) and Joint Commission International can give you an idea about well-regarded doctors and accredited medical facilities. At IBMS, you can enquire about certified physicians, surgeons and other health care experts. This organization claims to validate membership with proper documentation of license, speciality certification and hospital affiliation for all doctors around the world. This organization along with Joint Commission International and other accrediting institutions provides you, the medical tourist with access to crucial information related to medical professionals and facilities around the world, which will help you in your decisions regarding treatment overseas.