There is always a way to squeeze down your fuel spending, if you desire to. Regardless of the kind of vehicle you possess, there are hundreds of ways of saving fuel and going green. But all this, only if, you really wish to pull the meter down.
With ever-rising fuel prices, an improvement in miles per gallon can really do wonders for your monthly budget. Here are top ten fuel saving tips, which can really help in getting the meter down. However, one has to use these tips judiciously (as per traveling conditions) to get full result. In fact, you can use these as per your requirement or daily traveling habits or even as per your city driving habits and environmental factors. The guide is to play correctly and collectively!!
1. Take your vehicle to garage regularly: Checking whether your car is running properly or not, on regular basis is very important to save fuel. Keeping a check on factors like correct amount of engine fuel, wheel balancing, black emissions, brake oil and so on.
2. Check tyre air pressure: While going to office or going on for a long drive, check the tyre pressure. Any imbalance in the tyre pressure or less tyre pressure can mean more fuel burnt.
3. Park your car in shade: Ideally, one should park his/her car in shade. This is more essential in summer days. It is basically for the reason that cars which get heated up under the sun take longer time to cool down. Indirectly, that means, more air-conditioning and more fuel burning. So, it is really a good idea to park the car in shade, as much as possible.
4. Use less brakes and accelerator: If you keep on changing accelerator or applying brakes while driving, it will add to burnt fuel. So, whenever you are driving in a rush hour, use 2nd or 3rd gear more and less of top gears. This will definitely lessen up the burn in your pocket.
5. Walk behind the big cars: If you are going for a long drive or are moving from one city to another by road, try to drive behind a big car (as compared to yours). Big trucks or tourist buses are the best to follow as they maintain a constant speed and take the best path to the main destination. This way you will burn less fuel and have a hassle free drive!
6. Drive without air conditioner or air blower: As far as possible drive without these two. Try to avoid them if the weather is really pleasant.
7. Keep your bags less heavy: If you are traveling far, try to keep your bags as light as possible. Less weight in the rear area definitely means less fuel burnt. Try this out and you will be surprised how many gallons you have saved!
8. Hop in other’s car: If you and your colleague go to the same office or you and your friend have the same route to office, take a ride in each others car. You can do it on every alternate day or on monthly basis. This will save fuel burning and also lessen the traffic on road.
9. Buy a small car: SUVs look good and also feel terrific while driving, but if you and your family can do with a smaller car, go for it. It will save on both, fuel and monthly budget. Plus, it is always easy to drive and park a small vehicle.
10. Get a CNG/gas fitted: CNG/gas fittings are a rage these days, especially in small towns. It is for the simple reason that they are a lot cheaper than their diesel or petrol counterparts. In addition to this, their maintenance too is a lot easier. So, if you are going to buy a new car, opt for a gas one or else, get your sweet old car fitted with one. Surely, you will love it after a couple of months!
Cars and SUVs are objects of desire. Mostly people buy them for luxury, comfort and even show off. But, that does not mean one uses them liberally or as one pleases. One must use them with a thought which we owe towards Mother Nature. Our own survival depends on nature and so we must take every step to save it. Burning less fuel is just another move in that direction.