One of the problems that some parents face is boosting the self-esteem of their child. Some children may consider themselves low in self-worth and this is a problem. It becomes the task of the parents to boost the confidence of their children. Parents need to teach the child to be high in self-esteem. They have to nurture the child and his thinking.
Precautions to be taken while boosting child’s confidence
Parents need to make sure that the child does not cross the limits. There are cases where just because the kid is low in self-esteem he or she misbehaves. What is important here is that you try and explain to the child that they have a problem at hand and they need to work out a solution. You have to be careful that you do not spoil your child.
Tips to boost self-esteem with appropriate behavior
Here are a few tips which will help boost your child’s sense of worth with appropriate behavior:
- Make the child realizehe/she is an important part of the family. This feeling of being wanted can work a great deal in boosting the self-esteem of the child.
- Teach the child to appreciate himself and to love himself. It is important to make your child understand that he is important and has lots of good qualities and that he should love himself.
- Encourage your child to make friends and let them come over to your place. Show involvement in the activities that they as friends are doing which will make the child feel that he or she is important.
- Give your child time. This could be by having dinner with the entire family or telling a bedtime story. Take help from the child for your daily chores which will make him feel that you are giving him due importance.
- Give importance to the achievements, howeversmall they may be. Encourage him and congratulate him for example if he is runner’s up in the drawing competition then congratulate him and be happy which will do wonders for his confidence.
- Encourage him to take up hobbies. Don’t force him to get into extracurricular activities which do not interest him or he finds it boring as this can have a negative effect.
- Set rules which the entire family needs to follow and which will help in inculcating self-discipline in the child.
- Don’t use language or words which will hurt your child. Don’t call him nuisance or don’t criticize him in front of others.Avoid comparing him with other kids. Don’t be judgmental as these things will create a permanent scar on the young heart and will have a detrimental effect on your child.
Role of external factors
External factors like change in school or home or divorce of parents can also lead to low self-esteem. The parents have to see to it that the young minds do not suffer. Make your child understand that this is just a temporary phase and all will be fine.Teach your child to solve petty problems on their own and also encourage them to take small decisions on their own. This too will help in boosting their self-confidence.
Parents have to create an atmosphere and through their own behavior, help in boosting the sense of self-worthin their children.