Lower back stretching exercise helps one to maintain proper movement and functioning of the body, not to forget maintaining the aesthetic looks of the body also. It strengthens muscles, bones and joints. However, if done in a wrong way, it can cause some serious injuries to the body.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time required: 15-20 minutes (Approximately)
1. Lie on your back, and stretch out your arms to the sides.
2. Fold your legs, so that your feet may touch the ground. Keeping your knees together, allow the right side of your lower body to be comfortably close to the floor. Don’t overdo it. Keep it as comfortable as possible. Try to be in this position for 15-30 seconds.
3. Similarly, try to touch the ground on your left with bent knees. And try to be in this position for 15-30 seconds.
4. Lie on your back again and fold your legs with your feet flat on the floor. Try to pull the left knee toward your chest, while grasping the left leg behind the knee or back of thigh. While doing so, you’ll feel the stretch in your lower back.
5. Now, the right leg may be folded or remain straight parallel to the ground. This helps in stretching the front of right hip. Be in this position for 30 seconds.
6. Sit erect. No hunches. May be lower back is stretched, but effectiveness of the hamstring stretch is reduced due to hunches. Slowly bend forward bringing your head toward your knee. Return to the erect posture.
• Lower back flexibility relies on relaxation.
• Be comfortable with the degree of movement. Don’t overdo yourself while practicing stretching exercise.
Things to watch out for
• Do not over-strain your your body. You might injure yourself in doing this.
• Cold and stress hinders stretching.
• First make yourself comfortable with lower back stretch, then try leg stretches. This makes the lower back agile, which will not stress the lower back during leg stretches.
• Wear supporting belt to reduce stress on lower back during abdominal exercise.