Travelling overseas is fun and frolic, but it can lead to uninvited troubles. Therefore, while travelling overseas, always be aware of the surroundings and take a few simple measures to ensure that you and your loved ones are safer.
Here is a list of things that need to be done and also some things which you never do while travelling overseas:
- Always remember that you have a personal space. So, don’t let strangers get too close to you.
- During a trip, always listen and follow the safety instructions given by your project mentor or trip advisor.
- There will be some time when your project guide may be unavailable. So gather some prior information about the place and use some common sense while taking any decisions.
- Always use safety equipment’s which are available, such as helmet, gloves, life-jackets, safely belts, safety footwear etc.
- If you have any medical condition or information, don’t forget to mention it to the staff members of the hotel and your guide.
- Always keep all the important documents such as passport, ID, some emergency cash, insurance paper, credit cards, and copy of airline ticket away from the bulk luggage. Keep these documents within your reach.
- Try to wear a money pouch or money belt often used by the travelers. This pouch can be worn below several layers of clothing making it almost theft proof and secure. The cargo pockets also do the same job.
- Label all your belongings with name and contact details.
- Travelling to a different place can also cause health problems. So every time you eat, wash your hand thoroughly before every meal.
- Carry your travel manual all the time and make sure that it consists of all the important contact details, particularly from the trip.
- Try to memorize or keep a photocopy of phone numbers in case you lose something and also leave a copy of these numbers at home.
- Always inquire about any unsafe areas near your accommodation.
- Follow the traffic rules without fail.
- Never carry a large amount of cash with you while travelling
- Avoid keeping cash or wallet in the back pocket.
- Don’t take out all the money and start counting it on the street.
- Never go for a tour of a small, dark, unsafe and unfamiliar place alone.
- Don’t keep all your luggage and valuables out of sight especially at restaurants, airport, bus or train terminals, café and bars.
- Avoid accepting drinks from strangers and keep an eye on your drinks.
- Never travel with your passport or any other important documents. Keep these important documents locked in a safe and secure place.
- Avoid having alcohol while travelling to a new place.
These are few DO’s/DON’Ts that must be taken care of while traveling overseas.