Eco-tourism or ‘Ecological Tourism’ is a rising form of international tourism. It is intended for promoting awareness about environment among people and facilitating preservation of wildlife. It comes with a number of benefits and pitfalls as well. Find below some of those advantages and disadvantages of eco-tourism:
Advantages of Eco-tourism
- Preservation of Surrounding Environment: The idea of eco-tourism revolves around visiting beautiful places and protecting environment through it. As it does not involve the exploitation of several natural resources for unsustainable gains at a rapid pace, no significant negative impact is found on the environment. Rather, the nature and the wildlife can be preserved, which offers a sustainable choice of earning to the local people from travel and tourism.
- Scopes of Employment for Local People: The eco-tourism industry is seeing a boom as the concept is getting much popular with each passing day. More and more job opportunities are opening up as a result of the increasing demand of hotels, resorts and other accommodations equipped with skilled and trained professionals, experienced tour guides, merchandise retailers selling lots of necessary items, restaurants offering a variety of tasty foods, and so on. It is a great way to boost the local businesses.
- Deep and Diverse Cultural Impacts: Eco-tourism is not only about exploring exotic landscapes, taking care of natural resources and enhancing the economy of a certain region. It comes with intense socio-cultural effects. While visiting different places, travelers get to know about local people and their cultures. It develops a sense of much better conservation ethic in them.
Disadvantages of Eco-tourism
- Degradation of Environment: Like all other unique environmental efforts, eco-tourism also has some negative impacts on our surroundings. We might claim to be ‘environmentally sophisticated’, but the truth is that we do not realize how the transportation through which we are traveling or the food / drink which we are consuming there are taking a toll on the nature. All these inadvertent vicious infrastructure accelerate the environmental degradation to a large extent.
- Disturbance Caused to the Wildlife: Each and every type of tourism interrupts the quiet and peaceful wildlife. Inspite of lots of promotion of eco-tourism, people do not care much about the inconvenience caused to the birds and animals due to their illogical demands, wishes and behavior. They really do not try to become proper eco-tourists. It eventually imposes negative effects on the ecosystem and affects the ecological balance.