Hamburg is a picturesque city in Northern Germany. It is the second largest city in Germany. Hamburg is also the second largest port in Europe and is, therefore, a major transport hub and is rightly called Gateway to the World. It is considered to be one of the most liveable cities in the world and sees a large number of tourists visiting the place every year. Known for its temperate climate it is also one of the most affluent cities of Europe.
People, culture and etiquette
This is one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. In addition to being naturally beautiful, it is also a city which is simple and still abides by the traditional culture. At the same time, it also has a contemporary lifestyle. The people are simple and friendly and one can have a really good time shopping and experience the rich culture of this place.
Things to do in Hamburg
Image Source : Files1.Structurae.De
There are several places of tourist’s interest in Germany. Some of these places are
- Miniature Wunderland which is a model railway attraction of the place.It is located in the historic Speicherstadt and is divided into 7 sections. It also has a replica of the airport. It is believed that by the year 2020 the entire model will be completed.
- Alster which is a tributary of the Elbe River is one of the most rivers of Hamburg.In the city, the river forms two lakes which are of prominence.Activities like sailing etc are carried out on this river.
- Planten Un Blomen is park spread across 47 hectares. It means plants and flowers. This park contains the old botanical garden of Hamburg. It is known for its concerts, music performances etc.The park which is open throughout the year has a large playground and the best part is that it does not have an entrance fee.
- Hamburg Museum is a historic museum which was established in 1908. It has several artefacts and has several visitors every year.
- St Michaels Church is the most important church of Hamburg.It is one of the five Lutheran churches. This is an important spot in Hamburg.
- TierParkHagenbeck is a zoo and has huge and one of the finest collection of different animals and hence it is a major tourist attraction.
- Kunsthalle is an art museum and was founded in 1850. It has some of the best art collections in the country.
Get Around in Hamburg
When it comes to transportation Hamburg is a well-connected town and there is no problem with the transportation facilities.It has five major railway stations. There are vending machines on the railway stations for short journeys.
One can also buy group tickets. The bus service is also good and at there is a night bus which connects the outer districts with the city. There are also 6 ferry services around the harbour and if one wants then they can also opt for taxi services. On the whole, travelling is easy in Hamburg.
Due to its proximity to sea and river there are several fish dishes available in Hamburg.Dishes like Matjes or Bismarckhering, Green Herring Räucheraaletc are available.Soups like lobster soup called Hamburger Hummersuppe are also very famous.Other important dishes are Schwarzsauer, Himmel, Erde und Hölle etc. Desserts and baked goodies are also very famous.
Where to stay
There are many hotels in the city and based on your budget you can select the one of your choices. There are hostels, budget hotels, mid-range hotels and star category hotels.
Climate (Best Time to visit)
The place has long winters and therefore it is best to visit the place during spring that is late March to April.
Hamburg is truly a wonderful city with lots of places of tourist’s interest. It has a rich culture and wonderful tradition and one of the must-see places in the world.