List of top hotels in Puerto Rico is subjective; personal biases and preferences, wonderful experiences, excellent dining and particularly fine customer service have all played a role in what we ended up liking (or disliking).
Horned Dorset Primavera
- Plush accommodations with stunning decor (Moroccan lamps, duplex apartment-style layout of the suite I stayed in, luxurious bathrooms, private pool)
- Unbeatable location (perched on the edge of Rincon’s pristine beachfront)
- Outstanding cuisine, customer service
- That “escape-from-it-all” feeling, which the Horned Dorset does better than anywhere else in Puerto Rico
Hotel El Convento
- To stay here is to immerse yourself completely in the romantic charm of the old city. The accommodations maintain this standard while offering every amenity to its guests, and the hotel’s restaurants are all solid choices (I especially love the tapas at El Picoteo overlooking the leafy courtyard).
- El Convento is a unique place, and the best place to stay in Old San Juan.
The W Vieques
- For one, there’s the ambience, which exemplifies luxury island retreat. The modern decor is tasteful and island-chic, and practically oozes cool comfort.
- The rooms are large, minimalist, and exotic, and the twin infinity pools fronting the beach make for a relaxing, pampering day out
The El San Juan Hotel and Casino
- If the El Convento captures Old San Juan’s historic charm, then the El San Juan Hotel personifies its throwback glory days.
- Home to the original Rat Pack in the 1960s, this storied property has seen an impressive list of A-listers that continues to this day.
The Hix Island House
- We need to put a caveat here; while we think the W is the best hotel in Vieques, our favourite is Hix Island House.
- The only reason the W comes first is because it offers more to its guests and appeals to a broader group.
The El Conquistador
For sheer amenities, you can’t beat the El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa.
Nobody else on the island can throw out this incredible list of features and amenities:
- A water park
- Championship golf course
- A private island
- Kids’ camp
- Award-winning spa
- Water activities ranging from waterskiing to fishing
Renaissance La Concha Resort
- Sleek and stylish, La Concha Renaissance has re-established itself as one of San Juan’s hippest hotels.
- With a modern ocean-cool decor, a great lounge and restaurant, and beachfront access in Condado, it’s become one of the neighbourhood’s hotspots, favoured by guests and locals alike.
Conrad Condado Plaza
- The Conrad underwent a total renovation, and the results are terrific.
- Perhaps the most affordable of all the hotels on this list, it nonetheless gives you large, comfortable rooms in a Caribbean modern style, a casino, terrific lobby lounge, and two reasons to really love this place two of our favourite restaurants in Puerto Rico.
Rio Mar Beach Resort and Spa
- After a wonderful session at the Mandara Spa, an absolutely fantastic dinner at Palio, its Italian fine dining stalwart, and an excursion to nearby Hacienda Caraballi.
- The tiny all-suite property is tucked into Recinto Sur Street in Old San Juan, and offers stylish rooms decorated by local fashion icon Nono Maldonado, a terrific restaurant in Panza, and a Don Quixote theme that writers would love.