Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world’s languages having being originally written in Persian.
Today, his poems can be heard in churches, synagogues, Zen monasteries, as well as in the downtown New York art/performance/music scenes.
Below we have compiled the top 10 most inspiring quotes by the Persian philosopher and poet for your benefit.
1. Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
2. “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.” ― Rumi
3. “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?” ― Rumi
4. “The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” ― Rumi
5. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” ― Rumi
6. “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” ― Rumi
7. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” ― Rumi
8. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?” ― Rumi
9. “Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.” ― Rumi
10. “Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious.” ― Rumi
To find out more, check out the international bestseller, The Essential Rumi.