“ If you wait for everything to be perfect before taking action on your dream, you’ll never take the first step “ – Gail Lynne Goodwin.
Often we sit back and wait telling ourselves we have just not got the right opportunity to manifest our best potential. But who is going to give us that opportunity? In this dog-eat-dog world, people are ready to pounce on every opportunity, so how would you make the cut?
So many times we see men and women of infinite potential not realizing their dreams , their talent wasted because they didn’t take positive action at the right time.
Carpe Diem (seize the day) should be the mantra for any individual who wants to succeed in life. Success does come to those who wait but why not make your wait worthwhile and grab everything that comes your way, meanwhile? Surely you will be all the richer for it? Successful men have not reached the pinnacle of their careers by stepping back and waiting for an opportunity to present itself to them. No, they in fact step forward and make hay and even make sure the sun shines when they do it ! They take destiny in their own hands, no lines on their palms ( except of toil and sweat ) , talking parrots or crystal balls can make them stray away from their path. Man maketh the opportunity , opportunity does not maketh the man. Decide for yourself whether you want to do things or just lie back and watch other people do things and achieve dreams that were once yours.
- Set goals – Life has purpose when you have a goal. Write yours down. When you have a dream that is so real you can almost feel it, you will be self motivated towards fulfilling it. Success knows no excuses , it is only for those who value their dreams and set forth to achieve them. Set realistic goals and also prepare a timeline for them. Some goals can take a lifetime to achieve but if each step you take gets you one step closer to your dream, then each of those steps count.
- Be prepared – Striking the iron while it is hot works. The thing is, you do not own that iron, and you certainly do not know when you have to strike it and whether it will be hot when you do. So what do you do? Be prepared to take that iron down as soon as it appears and strike it real good. Opportunities do not come knocking at leisure. They come and go and many a time, they never come back because somebody else grabbed it instead of you. Do not be that person who was not prepared. Be on your toes, always.
- Seek inspiration – Follow lives of successful men, you will be surprised to find out that most of them started out small but they never let that be a hindrance. Let them be an inspiration to you. Money or the lack of it was never an excuse for them. Many, if not all, have even been ridiculed at by others because they dared to be different. But they never let that be a hindrance and just shrugged and continued with their dreams. Look, where they are now!
- Take that road – Brace yourself and take the path you have chosen for yourself. Come rain, come sun, keep walking. Do not let anything intimidate you. At the end of the road, you will have evolved as a wiser individual. Do not be scared of your own dreams. Challenge yourself and take down everything. Have a heart of steel and courage and iron determination.
- Do not be let down – Grab every opportunity you can. Be prepared but also realize that you cannot foresee everything even with all that preparation.A positive attitude is the key. When life gives you lemons, sell them and earn a profit. This should be your mantra.
- Get rid of the negative energy around you – All those critical voices around you can dampen your spirit and throttle your dreams. DO NOT let them . Listen , nod , agree but take in only positive criticism. Let it be constructive towards making you a better individual instead of letting it define you.
- Stay focused – Achieving the ‘big dream’ is dissecting the big dream into various smaller dreams. Your current achievements might seem like baby steps to you but then, even babies reach their destination right? Simply do not let go of your dream, constantly tell yourself what you want, what you desire, how you see yourself. Keep memos, journals or post-its where you can see them everyday, they will be constant companions and keep you focused.