Often we envision ourselves achieving a dream, we go over it again and again in our minds and then after a few months or years, let it go. Why ? Because you think it is not ‘attainable’. We settle and give up.
A young fledgling is thrown off from the highest branch of the tree so that he can learn to fly. Alas! Our human race does not follow this principle and goes against nature. Nature that allows us to follow our own course in life and emerge as mature individuals who know their full capacity and utilize it to the extreme. Since childhood, our mindsets have been so embedded as to what we should be when we grow up. This is mostly due to societal pressure. Rarely do we see live examples of a child who has been allowed to just be. Parents should hold the hands of their child, but not with a firm grip.If he wants to be an artist or a football player, just encourage him, if he doesn’t know what he wants to become when he grows up, revel in that too. Let him know you are always there for him.
More often than not, we choose professions which pay the bills. Maybe you would have been great as an artist but you gave up painting a while ago because it would have never paid the bills, or you just had to answer too many people. You settled.
A sense of complacence overcomes us when we achieve something. Remember that tough math question in school you could solve all by yourself? Remember how wonderful it felt? Achievement provides you that luxury, that beam of happiness that comes from within. But then, that was childhood. What about now?
- Discover the true you – The road to self-discovery is the longest. For so many years, we say ‘yes’ to things just to please others or follow some societal norm that in that path we lose ourselves. We tuck away our dreams and walk on a path somebody else has paved.
Discover yourself, your talents, your fears, your hopes, so that you know yourself the best, know what you are capable of and set forth to achieve it.
- Vision – Envision yourself making the cut. Ask yourself, ‘Others have done it . Why not me ? ‘ This will keep you going , whether see yourself in your dream job, driving your dream car or just want that perfect relationship, picture yourself having just that. All great things start with a vision.
- Set a benchmark for yourself – Having discovered yourself and your true potential, set a goal or an aim, do not accept anything lesser. Take pleasure in little achievements but do not think of them as the ultimate destination
- Be positive – You can never set a goal too high for yourself. Do not set goals which are easily achievable. Set goals which challenge you to give the best. Doing this will keep you on your toes. Never for once, think that perhaps, you will not be able to make it. Whenever that feeling creeps up, just shrug and tell yourself that you are going to do it anyway.Do it with a smile and watch the world fall at your feet.
- Get away from negativity – Being positive is tough, especially when there are people around you who constantly judge you and tell you ‘it’s not possible’. Get away from those people. Protect your dreams if you have to, hold them dear to your heart and confide only in someone who will help nourish that dream instead of strangling it.
Do not say ‘yes’ to society; agree and nod but do it anyway. ‘He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.’ When you succeed, the same people will come to you, pat your back and congratulate you.
- Patience – ‘Success comes to those who wait’. Truer words have never been spoken. There is no instant mantra for success. You see examples of college drop-outs achieving the billionaire status but they have not reached there overnight. They have been working on their product and model for years, often starting out in garages and look what they have achieved! Patience is the key, the day you lose it, you lose your dreams and that would be such a waste.
- Hard work and perseverance – Brace yourself that come what may, you will not step down. Prepare yourself to work hard and toil. It may take years but the success will be sweeter and you will have greater stories to tell.
- Live a little – Often, we do not realize the true value of things until they have gone by. Your dream is important but do not let go of the special people in your life, make an effort to let them know they are a treasure to you. Live up , have fun.
- Try – Even if you fail, later you will not have any regrets, for a life that was lived according to your own will. To travel is, after all to have arrived.