Space tourism is no more a dream. Trip to space and moon will become frequent very soon. A US millionaire, Dennis Anthony Tito was the first space tourist who orbited the earth and spent eight days in space, launched by Russian spacecraft Soyuz TM-32. After that, few more people got the opportunity to visit space. Space tourists are different from astronauts; in they go to space only for leisure, or recreational purposes, and not for any scientific research. Now many companies are researching and testing spacecrafts, which can carry tourists to space on a regular basis. If space tourism is an ultimate dream for many, others are terrified of the consequences it may entail on us. Let us see what are the pros and cons of space tourism.
- Space tourism will increase the commercial activity in the time of poor state of world economy. Space tourism will become a new area of commercial endeavour and give employment to thousands of people. Manufacturing of new and better spacecraft will give employment to many skilled people.
- The scientists may be able to find new minerals and other precious materials in space and other planets. This will be of great help to the people of Earth where natural resources are depleting fast.
- We may some day even discover life in some corner of universe, and learn from it. Exploring the space may lead to some discovery, which we cannot even imagine.
- Make space tourists aware of fragility of our planet. When people see Earth in dark space, and a thin layer of atmosphere they are forced to think of smallness of Earth, and it may induce us to respect our planet and preserve our natural resources.
- We may some day find a place where humans can live. This will be of great help to already over populated Earth.
- Open a new avenue for adventure tourists and people who love thrill.
- Developing space programs and spacecrafts need a lot of money. That money can be utilized for alleviation of poverty. Thousands of hungry people can be fed using that money.
- Several natural resources are wasted in flying the fuel guzzling rockets. It pollutes the atmosphere as well. Thus, space program is bad for our environment.
- Manned missions to space entail huge risk to the life of persons going in spacecrafts. Apart from the accidents that lead to loss of life, human beings have to face harsh conditions and adapt themselves to the unfriendly environment. Robots can be used instead of man for these missions, but this will again lead to more expenditure.
- It is fine to crave for thrill, but the whole human race may land into trouble if we find something lethal to life on Earth during some exploration. We may unwittingly introduce some harmful microorganism from space into the atmosphere of Earth.