One of the most exciting things you can do is live overseas. It’s rewarding in many ways, and it gives you a deeper perspective on life. Meeting new people shapes your character. Going to new places broadens your understanding of the world.
If you decide to move overseas, you have to consider two things. The first is where you would like to go. The second is how you would like to get there. In other words, research the country, and then figure out how to move.
Before you go, there are 5 things you should consider.
- Set up your work. If you’re lucky enough, your company could transfer you. If this happen, then you are all set. But if you are just venturing out alone, be sure that you have a skill to find work. If you don’t have a skill, get trained and certified in one. Choose something practical that would impress an employer. For instance, bookkeeping. If possible, you should arrange to get hired before you even leave home. The Internet makes it possible to apply for a job long distance.
- Put money aside. You may have to make sacrifices in your current lifestyle to begin to save money. You will have many unexpected expenses come up. You should prepare for surprises well ahead of the time.
- Choose a country that offers you personal growth. You should move to a country that will help you grow in some way. Perhaps, you are into Eastern religions. Consider an Asian country will help you to grow your spiritual practice. Perhaps, you love the great outdoors. Consider an African country with great national parks or famous mountains. Perhaps, you have always wanted to learn German, French, or Spanish. Consider a country where people speak that languages. For instance, people speak German outside Germany. They speak it in Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein.
- Research the countries you want to visit. Don’t just make assumptions about it. You can do this online. You can check out books from the library. You can join some cultural groups associated with the country you plan to visit. It’s a good idea to select a few countries and narrow down your choices. You may have some romantic notions about certain countries that are completely inaccurate.
- Visit the country. Make a short trip, a holiday, to get a better idea about the country. There is a huge difference between gathering information about a country and visiting it. Perhaps, the country is as good as you thought or exceeds your expectations. What you read or heard about it may be only one side of things.
While researching is the fun part of the adventure, moving can be exhausting. Get the aid of a moving company to help you move overseas. Some companies even specialize in helping people move. United Van Lines, which has an international moving service, suggest movers look into planning and preparation, visa and immigration, housing assistance, family assistance, and property protection.
Here are 5 practical tips to make moving easier:
- Settle things before you go. This means squaring away things like:
- Any memberships online or offline.
- Regular mail.
- Bills and debts.
- Credit cards.
- Phone bills.
In other words, settle accounts, postpone service deliveries or drop services.
- Sort through your things. This is a perfect excuse to declutter you home. Think minimalism.
- Make a list of favorite things to ship out. You may have some things that you can’t do without. You don’t have to give them up. Just figure out what is important and make a list of things that you want shipped to you.
- Arrange your first few days or weeks. You need to find a place to stay when you get there. Contact friends or relatives who might be in the country you want to travel to. If you don’t know anyone, then figure out what lodgings to rent out until you find a home. You need a place to land after your long trip. Don’t expect to find a hotel or rest house when you get there. Arrange everything before you go.
- Learn the language before you go. You don’t have to be fluent, but learn enough conversational skills to get by. You can always improve when you get there.
Plan Your Adventure
Although you might enjoy spontaneity, you should plan your adventure. This will ensure that you have a wonderful time. Research the country you plan to live in. Then plan how you will make the move. If you neglect these two steps, you’re setting yourself up to make unnecessary mistakes. You should prepare for your move overseas.
Article Submitted By community Writer