For some people grey hair may be a sign of wisdom but majority of people would not like to have salt and pepper hair on their scalp, especially at younger age. Hair is the mirror of age and health.
For some people grey hair may be a sign of wisdom but majority of people would not like to have salt and pepper hair on their scalp, especially at younger age. Hair is the mirror of age and health. The grey hair makes a person to look older then his original age.
Premature graying of the hair is a common problem among the younger generation, thanks to easy availability of the hair color and hair styling products, even the aged are looking young nowadays.
Normally, the hair starts greying around the age of 35, before that is called premature greying of hair. The natural substance called melanin gives, hair a specific color. The production of melanin by the pigment cells present on hair reduces with age. Due to lack of enough melanin the hair will stand out as grey or white. Along with that, there would be remarkable decrease in the growth of regular thick hair, and comparatively the grey hair grows faster than normal hair. However this transformation doesn’t happen overnight.
What causes hair to change its color prematurely?
Many young people have grey hair at early age due to genetic inheritance. Certain medical conditions involving hormonal imbalance may lead to premature greying of hair. However, premature greying of hair without any causative medical condition is considered as normal.
More over, there are various factors that lead to premature greying of hair such as
- Excessive exposure of hair to UV rays of sun.
- Mal nutrition-grey hair indicates improper protein synthesis. Lack of protein and essential vitamins, minerals in diet significantly affect the melanin production.
- Mental worries, shock, continue anxiety or stressful condition and other similar mental conditions make a person to look older with premature greying of hair.
- Improper hair care such as washing hair with hot water, excessive use of hair color products containing harmful chemicals, infrequent washing of scalp etc can also contribute to premature greying of hair.
How to prevent premature greying of hair
According to renowned trichologist, proper diet is a key to prevent and arrest premature greying of hair. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables with enough protein would serve the purpose.
With nourishing, appropriate grooming of hair is equally essential, that include
- Regular washing of hair with mild, gentle, shampoo followed by appropriate conditioning.
- Frequent massage of scalp with finger tips
- Use of sunscreen for hair to reduce the amount of UV exposure
Proper diet with appropriate grooming of hair will award shiny, lustrous hair to which all fall in love.
(Natural Remedies for Premature Greying of Hair
- Soak dried piece of amla (Indian gooseberry) in water overnight and use this water to wash hair
- Hair massage with a mixture of almond oil, with few drops of lime and amla juice is best for hair.
- Torai (ribbed guard) boiled with coconut oil is another remedy for enhancing natural pigmentation of the hair.
- Butter obtained from fresh cow’s milk had been found helpful to prevent and arrest the premature greying of hair.)