Our earth is at a precarious stage wherein its environment and ecology is highly threatened. Great care and precautions are being taken all around in every sphere of activity so as to do minimal damage to the environment. We are always trying to buy products that are environment friendly, constructing dams or roads after ensuring it does not in any way disturb the ecological balance. Environmentalists all over the world are always on their toes to protest against any action that might pose any threat to the environment. Despite our utmost efforts in spreading this awareness, there are still a lot of areas for us to explore. One such area is the hospitality industry. Hotels are generally a symbol of luxury. And whenever there is luxury, there is a lot of waste. As money comes freely, sadly so does waste. At this point, you ought to make people conscious of their environment and nudge them to act for its benefits. You should make the hospitality industry conscious in what they can do to make their hotel a âgreen hotelâ keeping in mind the symbol of luxury and prestige.
So let us a look at the possible ways to switch to environment friendly (green) hotels.
1. The hotels should reuse the bed sheets and towels in their rooms. All products of linen should be reusable in some way.
2. The showers and the toilets should be having a lower flow of water. A lot of water is wasted in showers and toilets, sometimes unnecessarily.
3. LED lamps should be used in hallways, guest rooms and also in the lobbies. There should be timers and sensors to automatically switch off the lights where people do not frequently visit. A huge amount of electricity can be saved per year by implementing this sensor mechanism.
4. The staff working in the hotel should be trained and educated to turn off any items which are not used by anyone at that time, like air conditioners, fans and lights. They should also know why it is important doing so. Then only they can learn the value of these secondary works (of primary importance!).
5. During summer months, the drapes should be closed. There should be films in the window so as to minimize the load on air conditioners or heaters.
6. A separate basket should be kept in guestrooms where the guests can dispose of any recyclable materials like papers, plastic, glass, etc. There should also be such baskets for recycling in the reception, kitchen and wherever possible.
7. Recycled products should also be bought whenever possible, like while buying any paper products or minor art installations. Nowadays, art installations made up of recycled items is a rage! The size of the invoices or receipts for the guests should be minimized so as to save the paper. Care should be taken to buy papers which are not bleached. Or if it is bleached, it should be chlorine free.
8. All chemicals in the hotels should be stored in an area which is ventilated properly. Paints, cleaners and sanitizers must be non toxic in nature as all of these eventually may seep to earth in a long run.
9. Appliance should be bought keeping in mind its âenergy starâ ratings. Higher rating ensures lower electricity consumption.
10. Solar panels should be installed for water heating systems and also for any kind of electricity required by the street lamps within the hotels. If the hotel has pool, it should also be heated by solar energy.
11. There should be bicycles in the hotels which the guests might use for free or for minimal charge. The guests should be encouraged to use them and also the public transportation.
12. After parties or any events, the leftover food should be wisely dispensed with. Either it can be made to compost or far better if it can be donated to some non profitable organization.
13. The restaurants in the hotels should try to make the food from organic products and fresh produce.
14. Water and energy use should be monitored and recorded. Whenever there is a change in the rate of consumption, the faulty equipment should be replaced.
15. The hotels should start a charitable wing wherein they donate any old furniture, leftover guest items, and shampoo and soap products.
16. If there is a replacement of some important mechanical equipment, specialists should be consulted so as to see what best fit is in that case. It might reduce both the costs of operation and initial investment.
Following these minimum guidelines, hotels can do a lot in doing their part in improving the earthâs environment and preserving its ecological balance.