Nowadays we do not require a large land plot in order to grow vegetables. Many vegetables adjust themselves quite well to the surroundings of a container. But many problems can be faced when growing the vegetables in the container. The problems can be proper fertilization, sunlight, adequate needs of water, etc. The plants which grow on ground gets the water from the ground water, gets the sunlight directly from the sun. So these problems have to be prevented.
Difficulty Level: Moderately challenging: (May require expertise in few areas)
Time Required: 1 hour
The main things required are
- Large plastic or clay pots which has a diameter of 18 inches to 24 inches
- Watering cans
- Good potting soil
- Compost or fertiliser
Procedure regarding how to grow vegetables in containers
1. Making use of large containers: If large containers are used then there would be larger space for the roots to grow well, which will allow the top part of the plant to grow well. For example tomatoes need a large space to grow i.e. it grows 6-8 feet tall and 2 feet across This type of plant can only be accommodated in a half whiskey barrel sized pot. In short pots, only short plants will grow which will result in lack of fruits, lack in growth, etc.
2. Compost should be used in the pots as keeps the plants cooler and moist during the summer time.
3. As all the plants need fertilization at regular intervals so worm castings can be used for meeting this requirement. Organic fertilisers also give good results and last about 6 weeks to 2 months.
4. Do not put excess of water into the pots as it might lead to damaging of roots and even the rain water which settles down above the mud should be removed so that the plants grow well.
5. Proper sunlight should be allowed to these pots. The best place for these pots is in the balconies or on terraces where there will be enough sunlight to fall on the plants. The pot should be facing sunlight for around 6 hours daily.
The basic requirement is that a big pot is needed which should not be narrow in shape but should be quite broad as to grow big plants. Then it should be kept in a warm place where it should be getting sunlight for around 6 hours daily so that it could satisfy the plants needs in making the food through the process of photosynthesis.
Firstly, the soil has to be prepared. Then the seeds have to be added and after that the compost or Osmocote pellets because they last for the entire growing season. Then moisturize the pot soil by adding water so that it damps well. Place the pot in the direction of the sun so that it receives an adequate amount of sunlight. Dig a hole for the vegetable’s transplant, turn the plant upside down, moisturize the bottom part and gently pull the stem of the plant until the plant comes out well. And then place the plant well and fill the edges completely and immediately water the plant after planting. The plant should be regularly irrigated and should get adequate amount of sunlight. The soil should not be left dry for large time periods.
Certain plants need some support to grow well as like tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, etc. The plants should be regularly checked for any bug damage and worms which could seriously harm the plant, therefore organic treatment should be provided to the plant.
1. When vegetables are grown in containers, they provide more flexibility than when grown on raised beds. It doesn’t matter whether you are staying in a small or a big apartment, you are sure to find space for keeping the containers.
2. Containers are easy to maintain. You will face fewer problems with pests and weeds.
3. You should not grow sprawling and large vegetables in containers.
Frequently asked questions
Which vegetables are the most suitable?
As long as there is sufficient room in the container, any vegetable can be grown.
Does whether play a role in the growth of the vegetables?
To an extent, it does. For example, cucumbers do not grow well in cold conditions hence you should have a fair bit of knowledge about the vegetable that you want to grow.
Things to watch out for
1. Do not add any chemicals or fertilizers by your own. This can change the chemical composition of the vegetables.
2. Vegetables take time to grow. So you should not disturb the stetting regularly.