People are crossing borders to seek healthcare services in another country and this international phenomenon is termed as medical tourism. It is attaining popularity among urban and sub-urban residents to developed countries. Every new thing is questioned or doubted and it is happening with medical tourism. It is also being analyzed and criticized.
Advantages of Medical Tourism
As it is the best way to save money along with treatment. It has several advantages and some of them are as follow:
- The most well known advantage of medical tourism is definitely the fact that it can be attained at lower prices. Treatment costs have risen so much that complicated surgeries cost more than travel, treatment and accommodation.
- Traveling lets the patients choose the nursing homes and country where they would like to travel. Saving money is crucial for people because of unstable financial circumstances. Many surgeries and treatments do not fall under common medical insurance.
- People prefer medical tourism because breaking your bank accounts and savings for surgeries can put you in a severe financial crunch.
- People get an instant medical treatment in medical tourism with no delay. The postoperative care is also taken care of in some hospitals. Getting to see a new country is also a great experience and patients get adequate privacy and can opt for alternative surgeries like fat reduction and butt enhancement.
Disadvantages of Medical Tourism
Like other things medical tourism also have another side. It also have disadvantages and some of them are as follows:
- Main disadvantage of medical tourism is that the patient and their family members are not sure about the qualifications of the doctors. They have to venture in a new country credulous the medical tourism facilitators.
- Misinformation can lead to worst, inefficient treatment and wastage of time money and health. Pre-operative and postoperative care is not available in many of the hospitals in abroad. Sometimes the cost of the whole trip amounts to more than the predictable amount at the end and the patients meet a financial setback.
- Problems can stem from legal permits and paper works at well. A change of place can make the patients and their families nervous and anxious due to the difference in the language and culture barrier.