Words Of Wisdom From The Old To The Young
Looking back on their lives, people over 60 were asked what words of wisdom they would impart on their younger selves. If by some miracle you could go back in time and give yourself some words of wisdom, what would they be?
We asked people over 60, and this is what they said:
1. The most important person in your life is the person who agreed to share their life with you.
Treat them as such.
2. Children grow up way too fast.
Make the most of the time you have with them.
3. A friend will come running if you call them at 2am; everyone else is an acquaintance.
You will never know who your real friends are until you’re in deep shit.
4. Your job provides the means to do what’s really important in life, nothing more.
Do the job but live for your family. Nobody ever dies wishing they had worked more.
5. If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.
Take good care of your health by maintaining a good diet.
6. My family is the only thing I care about anymore.
Your family is your number one priority and you should always take care of those relationships.
7. The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago.
The second best time is now.
8. Don’t marry young.
Live your life. Go places. Do things. If you have the means or not. Pack a bag and go wherever you can afford to go. While you have no dependents, don’t buy stuff. Any stuff. See the world. Look through travel magazines and pick a spot. GO!
9. If you’re getting overwhelmed just return to the immediate present moment and savor all that is beautiful and comforting.
The events in your life are not as serious as you make them.
10. Floss regularly and brush your teeth while you’re in the shower.
You’ll do more brushing without spending time at the sink. Dental problems are awful.
11. When you meet someone for the first time, realize that you know nothing about them.
You see race, gender, age, clothes. Forget it. You know nothing. Those biased assumptions that pop into your head because of the way your brain likes categories, are limiting your life, and others’ lives.
12. Don’t ever be afraid to make mistakes.
13. Appreciate every small moment.
We don’t get to stay on this crazy and wonderful planet forever. The greatest pleasure can be found in the most mundane of activities.
14. Don’t stop reading books, lots and lots and lots of books.
Crappy ones, disturbing ones, difficult ones, fun ones. You can only live your one life, but with books, you can live thousands more. A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. A man who does not read, lives only one.
15. Stop smoking and drinking because you will regret it.
It takes its toll and it makes you feel like crap.
16. It doesn’t matter who you fall in love with, because it’ll always be the wrong person.
You will never be completely satisfied with the person you’re with, because ultimately we are all human and flawed beings. The grass isn’t greener on the other side; it’s greener on the side you water the most.
17. Be friends with friendly people.
Often the people who you most want to be friends with are shitty people, and the people who you most avoid being friends with turn out to be your best friends in life.
18. Be skeptical and always question everything.
Question politicians, religion, scientists, the media, corporations and the people around you.
19. Pay attention to your habits and biases.
We are creatures of habit, and it’s harder to stop doing something habitually than to start. Biases and prejudices are likewise natural, and we should be aware of our own, especially as they’re being created.
20. Try not to be shy.
You’ll realize some day that the obstacles were all in your head.
If you enjoyed this article, please share on Facebook or Twitter using the share buttons.